Water Based Adhesives
Action Adhesives is Ireland’s best choice for competitively priced and innovative water-based adhesive solutions.
Considered one of the most conventional alternatives to Solvent Based Adhesives, Water-Based Adhesives are commonly chosen due their eco-friendly properties. They contain zero volatile organic compounds (VOC) and are commonly used for manufacturing the most complex laminates.
Simply defined, a water based adhesive:
- Contains water
- Sets through evaporation / penetration
- Requires at least one absorbent / porous substrate
- Prepared using natural or synthetic ingredients
- Forms bond through mechanical and/or specific adhesion
More specifically, water based adhesives are made from a combination of water, polymers, and additives. The polymers may be derived from synthetic or natural sources, and are ideal for porous or non-porous substrates. These adhesives may be formulated as emulsions, solutions, or powders, and are activated as the water evaporates or is absorbed by the substrate. Just like hot melts use heat as the “carrier”, water based adhesives use water and leave a polymer adhesive film behind once the water is eliminated.
Typical backbone polymers include:
- Starch – natural based
- Dextrin – natural based mixture of polymers
- Pvac – Polyvinyl acetate homopolymer – synthetic based
- EVA (VAE) – ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer – synthetic based
- Acrylic – synthetic based
- Latex – may be synthetic or natural based
What type of Industries & Applications are they used in?
- Corrugating – Performance Additives, Rheology Modifiers, Finishing Adhesives
- Paper Laminating – Litho- Laminating, Dual Arch, Honey Comb
- Bags and Sacks – Grocery & Retail, Specialty, Pet Food, Popcorn
- Folding Carton – Non-Contact Extrusion Seaming, Wheel Applied Seaming, Window Gluing, Hot Melt Seaming
- Envelopes – Seal Gum, Back Gum, Window Patch, Padded Envelopes
- Cores and Cups – Water based Seaming, Hot Melt Seaming, Cascading
- Graphic Arts – Edition Binding, Perfect Binding, Case-making
- Woodworking – One Component Waterproof Wood Adhesives, D3 and D4 Adhesives
- Labelling – Bottle and Can Label Application
- Flooring – Laying of Acoustic Materials
To put it in perspective, Action Water Based Adhesives touch many aspects of our lives!
In Addition they can be found in many aspects of Woodworking and Construction:
As can be seen, water based adhesives touch virtually every corner of your life!
As Ireland’s most experienced Adhesives & Sealants company, our technical team would be more than happy to assist you in finding the right product for your application.
In addition, we will work hard to make sure that the product runs optimally on your equipment and is suitable for your customer’s end uses.
Adhesive is only 2% of your total product, but if not done right, can be your biggest headache! We want to make sure your choice of adhesives is a pain free as possible!!!